Saturday, October 27, 2012

Day Twelve of Journey For Freedom, October 26th, 2012

Torrie has been experiencing some technical difficulties with her phone, again. Her new refurbished, replacement phone.
Please check back later for an update.

Command Central signing out

~

Day 12 was hot!
So as you see we adjusted my schedule again, I am going for 7 miles each day now and 3 miles on November 1st.

First I made calls to local branches of Amnesty International, League of Woman Voters, ACLU, and Center for Non-Violence and sent info via the Spokane staff.

Jenny, my dear friend from Spokane who recently moved away joined the Journey yesterday. I was so excited! So great to see her and have her enthusiastic help with this trek. After gathering her up from her brother's home, in La Mesa, and a short visit with her sister in-law, we headed to the KPBS station to invite the local public TV to cover the Journey. They gave me a newsroom phone number and the friendly woman who answered asked me to send our info by email.
Then we contacted the KCR SDSU campus radio and sent them info also. The kids have been sending the media releases and we have heard from the local FOX channel by email, asking when I'll be at the courthouse.

I will be walking from Center City Escondido down south to the courthouse starting today, the forecast is 92 degrees.


Across from #25, about 20 yards away
If it's not too hot I'll add some miles to the day. Yesterday it occurred to me, I've never been out to the little town at which the D.A. claims there was a terrible crime--so I decided to go there.







Ha!! I found it!
These photos show the crowded trailer park at Live Oaks Springs. The prosecutor had told the jurors that the trailer was isolated and that no one else was nearby. That was his reasoning as to why there were no eyewitnesses to testify for his case of a crime he alleges occurred  June 26th, 1988.


These trailers have been here since 1969





Cabins
Not only were there 30 trailers, as the owner of the property testified, but these cabins for rent, a gas station/store, a restaurant, and an adjacent community were just a stone throw away.

Store/Gas

Restaurant






As we drove through these trailers and the neighborhood side by side I felt only validation and courage for Kerry's exoneration.



Look at the close neighbors...
#25 is on the left, # 26 to the right,
another home is directly behind #25











It was a satisfying feeling to have personally exposed another on the list of false evidences the prosecutor drilled into the jurors minds. Although a crowded trailer park alone does not exonerate Kerry, it is exculpatory to the extent there was plenty of opportunity for witnesses and help, if there had even been a crime.
Neighborhood of multiple streets
 next door to trailer park
Why lie about the neighbors?













My childhood friend, Joan, who is joining the trek, is down with a cold today. So Jenny and I will move over to her brother's for tonight and stay with Joan when she's feeling better.
A speedy recovery to Joan and Jessie!




No comments:

Post a Comment