Monday, October 22, 2012

Day Seven of Journey for Freedom, October 21st, 2012

Kerry phoned me last evening, we had our 15 minute time limit. She told me the ladies on the Row were watching the news last Monday around 5:30 pm, when she heard them calling out to her (she was in her home) to come see. They were watching channel 47 and caught Fresno's short excerpt of the interview they gave me. It was a real boost to the ladies, she said (and a couple of them hollered hello to me over the phone). 



I walked and visited the Westlake area of L.A. yesterday. I was hoping to find the ACLU office open because I have been leaving messages with a contact there working for prop 34. I spent about 45 minutes in the area, left two more messages, before moving on. At my break, I was reading one of the pamphlets Maria gave me to hand out, 'The Tax Payer's Guide to the California Death Penalty'. It reiterates the conclusion Mark Fuhrman came to in 'Death and Justice', "Ironically, death penalty trials are more prone to error than ordinary criminal trials." Sister Helen Prejean has remarked on the corruption behind those errors and Mr. Fuhrman showed many examples of purposeful misconduct and cover-ups. Mr. Fuhrman was adamantly against the death penalty after his own investigation and presents his reasons eloquently in the last chapter and epilogue of 'Death and Justice'.

Much of the rest of my route had to be changed; one Kerry's daughters joined me and so did my mother. Rosalie could not do the route we planned, so we quickly adjusted to her needs. Christie took mom back to the car and drove her to the L.A. Zoo. I walked the rest of the way and met them. We spent the next 3 hours walking the Zoo (with plenty of opportunities for Rosalie to rest). As we discussed updates on Kerry's case, prop 34, and the rest of my Journey to San Diego. Our mother really wanted to be a part of the Journey and support Kerry. So the Zoo exercise was a perfect way to include her.


Of the 141 persons exonerated from Death Row, the average years lost there is 13--it seems the most common is 18 years long...The only way to make sure no innocents are executed is to abolish the Death Penalty.

Most nations of the world (112) acknowledge the Death Penalty is inhumane. We are among the few who promote violence to stop violence: China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and the US are the top executioners.

Please promote peace,

Victoria


No comments:

Post a Comment