Saturday, October 20, 2012

Day Six of Journey For Freedom, October 20th, 2012

Victoria filled this in for day five:

The kids and I mapped out most of the walking before I left, I should have done about 62 miles by now, but I estimate I got about 52 of those. With the phone issues I lost some of the miles on two days, and I'm sorry about no photos on Day Five. The loaner-phone wasn't useful for that.

We had a loop planned out for me on day five. I managed to get off course for a couple of miles--even though my dear friend Charles provided me with an old fashioned compass. I turned right when I was supposed to go left. No Charles, I didn't check the compass because I was SURE I had it right./:
The loaner phone doesn't have GPS...Well, I used the compass all the way back to my car after that! It was eighty-seven degrees and feels much hotter down here.

I stopped at a frozen yogurt shop and bought a cold bottle of water before walking the last three miles back--I poured half of it over my head (-: It worked! I arrived soggy, but without heat stroke. Day five was a nine mile day.

Walking through posh Santa Clarita, the area was filled with busy busy people. Does anyone do just one thing at a time anymore? Walkers were on the phone, or texting, drivers were in a big hurry, shoppers were also on the phone. No one had time for more than a quick "hi", in return to my "hellos"...



Day six--

Today was a twelve mile day and my first blisters arrived, but not to worry, they are manageable and the cosmos granted me a break, 77 degrees and overcast! I loved it.

Valerie and Eddie hosted me last night in their beautiful home and we had wonderful conversations. I understood them to be supportive of prop 34, so we spent most of the discussion on Kerry's case. They were amazed to hear that a person could be tried for a death penalty case when no one had even been declared deceased, where the prosecutor was corrected by the judge and instructed him not to say that there was a victim.

As I walked, for hours along the street, I thought of Kerry and talked to her, sharing the sights and sounds. She would love the stylish boots and brightly colored dresses here (-:

Sometimes I feel alone and rejected by those I see, they often turn away quickly, but mostly I see through Kerry's eyes; all the things she misses and the places she hasn't been to for twenty years. It helps me notice the small things, and to be grateful even for the blisters on my toes, for I am able to walk anywhere I choose.














Valerie's son, Mark, dropped by to visit and sign a post card for Kerry. We all listened to Pam's song, "My Sister's Smile", and departed with hugs and hearts heavy with the reality of this death machine, but also hopeful because every single voice motivated to take action will combine to create change.

You can see I figured out to use the camera on my replacement phone, but I have much more to learn. Please pardon my texts or lack of them, and I can't email yet. But the GPS works, and the cosmos knows how much I need that!

I walked along a stretch of Laurel Canyon Boulevard where many homes displayed their pride of ownership, such as elegant masonry topped with wrought iron fencing: This one had two lions on guard, and two little chihuahuas came running out to yip at me as I took this photo. I knew Mary would like to see them (-:


My cousin Bruce, who I'm staying with this evening, forgot to remind me about the steep hill on the last stretch to his house--that was my destination today. When I arrived, he drove me to pick up my car.









This is the view from the top of the hill--it wasn't so special, I just needed an excuse to catch my breath!




My Italian grandmother was laid to rest here, I didn't realize it was on my route.





Please feel free to send me and the kids a message here at the blog, you can leave a comment, suggestion or encouragement. We'd love to hear from all of you!

Our best blessings to all of you, from Victoria, the kids and Kerry Lyn.


California residents, vote yes on 34. Washington residents, write to your legislators, sign post cards for abolishing the death penalty at PJALS





1 comment:

  1. Canada is proud of you Victoria,
    We are also proud of Kerry Lyn
    "SHE IS INNOCENT" no question in our minds!
    Please vote yes on bill 34 California
    You know who we are Torrie,
    Kelowna BC Canada

    ReplyDelete