Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day Ten of Journey For Freedom, October 24, 2012

Company on the walk
The morning was well spent discussing the criminal justice system and details of Kerry's case with Melody and her roommate, Janine. They both are voting YES on 34 and are going to read CAGES, because Kerry's trial shows many examples of what can go wrong in these Capital crimes trials.

Well known author, Scott Turrow, (also an ex-prosecutor in Illinois) has added his experience and research to the list of those who realize the Death Penalty has not worked. One major reason is the pressure and rewards that come with a Death Penalty case; easily leading to compromise to get a conviction--and sometimes outright misconduct, as is the case for Kerry and Kevin Cooper.


I never saw the stagecoach
The walk along Sunset Blvd wasn't a long one, but it is so filled with people and sights it was great! I had to return my loaner phone at Tmobile and while there a curious customer asked about my "Yes on 34" button. He wanted to know which proposition it was, because he had not voted yet. It gave me the opportunity to discuss the system. He used to be a paralegal and so had personal feelings about his experience. He was definitely against killing and hopes the system will be reformed. He is voting YES on 34. (He also wished Kerry his best.) 
More Sunset Blvd

I returned to the UPS shop on Sunset to offer the employees I'd met the other day some handouts on prop 34. Sam was working again but the other clerk was not. Sam was kind enough to write a note to Kerry on one of the Free Kerry Lyn cards. "Dear Kerry, I obviously met your sister and she told me about your story and I want you to know I am in your support and I will vote to help you become a free person. Hang in there--Sam O." He also was quite moved and concerned.
Sam helping a customer at the
UPS store, while we were
talking 34 & he signed a post
card to Kerry
Next I met Kevin. He asked why I was walking and our conversation covered his fifteen year old son's current football activities and this involved father's hope for his son to have a happy future. Kevin agrees the system needs much reform. He was very sad to learn my sister was on a Row. He gave me a hug and prayers for Kerry. It was a great day on Sunset Blvd. 
I met Kevin on Sunset Blvd. He sends
prayers to Kerry & the Row residents &
is voting YES on 34
This was the shot I tried before
 Kevin flagged down a volunteer.
 Good thing he did, eh!

At 1:30, the Safe and Just Alternatives campaign was holding a Stakeholder's meeting, so I took a break to call in. I shared the updates on the Journey For Freedom and heard them tell about the many works in action for the Washington State campaign.


The pretty park I started at in Cerritos
Next I headed to Anaheim, to Cerritos to be precise. I walked from a park, where I left my vehicle, through a neighborhood, then down La Palma Ave to the gates of Knottsberry Farm. Many folks were out walking their dogs (it seems Chihuahuas are the top choice in breed in Southern California) and most walkers returned my hellos happily, one asked how I was, and only one gave me a hostile look and said nothing. There were no openings to have a conversation. 
Tonight I'm staying with Mike, Tracy Morgan's brother, in Mission Viejo. I had a late day and arrived here around 7:30 pm, but even after dark I can tell it's a pretty area. Mike gets up for work at 5 am, so I missed him when I remembered to ask for a photo (it's 9:30 pm now). Sorry Tracy...He was wonderful to invite me to stay over, I had my shower and am writing all of you from a comfy bed in his guest room. Thank you Mike, you're a good sport to let a stranger crash in your home unexpectedly! 

This was kinda how I felt last night
after a long day


Peace and love to all of you from all of us! 












1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a comfy night before the big push to San Diego! Walk on!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete