Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day Two of Journey For Freedom, October 16, 2012


I began the day by searching for a pair of flip-flops and sunscreen; seems in California they don't think 84 degrees constitutes a necessity for either...I did finally find sunscreen put aside on the top shelf at Walgreen's after trying 3 stores, and got these lovely sparkled flip-flops at a wonderful thrift store in the Tower District of Fresno. My feet needed something to cool off in after walking (-:



Next I was surprised that the rental car wouldn't start; I'd been spoiled with the car Enterprise lent me when they were out of their economy models and offered me this brand new sporty black VW Jetta- it drove great! Well, I guess breaking in a new car can have some issues, the transmission locked or something (?) they hadn't figured it out by the time I left. I did however get to meet Mike, the manager of the dollar store I was at, who was kind enough to try and start the car before I called the rental company - he didn't even laugh at me, and he couldn't see why it wouldn't start either. The woman at Enterprise service calls was patient and fast to get me help. Then Mitchel came out from the nearest branch to see if he could start the Jetta; no dice. His manager joined him, and they decided to get my stuff transferred into the white van pictured here. I don't know what happened with my "cool ride", but I'm back to a "Mom machine" - oh well, it has more room & I can always sleep in it if it comes down to that (-: I also had the privilege to witness strangers showing kindness to a stranger in need (-: 








That took up the majority of the day, then I was off to Tulare. I had little time in town, but saw the cemetery and  kids walking home from schools. I was set to meet with another new friend-to-be, Jane, who lives in a lovely spot next to a walnut orchard. She took us to her friend's home to watch the presidential debates. You can see here Jane is intent on the debate as Lancelot jumps on Toni's lap, he just wanted some of our yummy Mexican chicken soup! Then we talked about Kerry Lyn's case and life on the Row. It was difficult for Toni to hear, she was moved and sympathetic.












Richard Iyall sent us a copy of his poem he recited to me on yesterday's walk. It was so wonderful, I'd asked him for a copy and permission to share it with all of you!  Enjoy:  

I’m Finally Free 
I’m finally free of the bondage to this body. 
I’m finally free of the fear of death. 
I’m finally free of the stress of thinking 
maybe, perhaps, I’m not good enough; 
that I don’t measure up to the standards of others 
who measure success in terms of possessions, 
things for the ego, it’s so superficial. 
I’m finally free of archaic paradigms. 
I’m finally free of angst and confusion. 
I’m finally free of the need to play games 
where nobody wins, for no one has vision; 
for I have achieved so much in my lifetime 
which comes out of knowledge of life and relations; 
for I have discovered the essence of spirit, 
of life and of love, of peace and contentment. 
So people now listen to words that I offer, 
for you are my sibling and I am your brother. 
This world is vast, from stars to the atom, 
but we are all one with rocks and with trees. 
We are all one, this whole universe. 
We are all one, you and me. 

Jane & her two dogs (the 
cats & chickens wouldn't 
pose for us...)









I had a wonderful stay with Jane,
she made me feel like family and 
we shared conversation that blessed 
my heart. We will be praying for your 
brother, Raymond, and for your strength 
and love to be continually refilled for Raymond's 
sake and yours. May the Cosmos bless you always!























I hope you all had terrific days and that you found someone to share the realities of the Death Penalty with. Our discussion was just 3 of us this evening, but every voice is important and a step forward into a more compassionate world for all.
Healing & Peace to everyone ~
Victoria

P.S. this beautiful inspiration from Mahatma Gandhi adorns the dresser at Jane's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment